Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A Very Painful Decision

Ballet
or
Gymnastics?

(did I getcha? Hee hee)

Here's the deal -- Ruby has been taking gymnastics since she was 18 months old, which means she is currently in her fourth year of gymnastics classes. I just think gymnastics is so very cool and I would love to see Ruby keep going with it, at least through her elementary school years. And I personally don't have any interest in seeing her do a team sport like soccer, so I've never really presented that to her as an option. Gymnastics has been it.

But Ruby wants to be a ballerina. So. Bad. She begs us to take ballet classes. There is a dance studio where we go for gymnastics, so she sees classes there, plus a couple of the girls in her daycare take ballet. I have been putting her off whenever she mentions it, but she's starting to become really persistent.

Oh, how I do NOT want her to switch to ballet! In my opinion (my opinion) gymnastics teaches her balance, strength, coordination. It's a sport. And ballet for 4-year-olds is a bunch of 4-year-olds twirling around in their cute little tutus. Ruby can twirl around in a tutu at home.

I do think that Ruby's gymnastics class this year is just a repeat of everything she did last year, so it may very well be that she's bored. I am thinking about switching her class, which would put her back with the same teacher she had for the last two years. Or else maybe getting her into the 5-year-old class -- her birthday is in January, maybe she's ready to move up in her skill level.

But she wants ballet!!

So I need help. Please, someone tell me something I don't know about the value of ballet classes. Someone tell me whether I should let my 4-year-old make the decisions, or should I keep her in gymnastics because it's what I want for her (she likes her class and has fun there, so it's not like it's a battle to get her there). I need someone to be the rational voice for me, to make the pros-and-cons list for me.

Decisions, decisions... Oh, the drama!

8 comments:

  1. Hi I love your blog and you have a beautiful family! I sent you an email because it was getting to be long : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) my daughter begged for ballet (but she was 10 or 11) and we let her go for it - she's now an amazingly strong and talented daughter - she's more athletic than I could have imagined. Anyway, your little one is so young still that I can see why you're hesitant, but I say let her give it a shot (if only for the peace of mind). If you go to a real ballet studio (as opposed to a rec center or something), she will work on real poses and balance, etc. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a hard decision and even better blog title (shame on you:) Anyways, back to the topic of discussion....my vote is ballet. One of my gals did ballet and to see your little one in a tutu is priceless!
    Good luck on the decision and please share when the decision is made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a little gymnast too, and I am loving what it's doing for her! That said, I have taken ballet classes, and it can be a very physically challenging pursuit. So it might depend on the particular ballet program whether it's giving her the same things you value about gymnastics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Lisa, it depends on how rigid the ballet program will be for Ruby. If it's to introduce her to the art, for fun, and for exercise, I would go for ballet. (Last year's ballet experience was enough to last me for years. I mean hair in a bun for each class and three recitals was enough for me to say not again.)

    However, I had hoped to get Tori into a gymnastics class this fall, but it didn't work out. So I guess I am no help to your dilemma.

    Can't she do both, Mom? Ha!Ha!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have to pick one - then ballet - Because ballet is the foundation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just had an interesting chat with a high school trainer about sports. I have lived in fear of injuries for YEARS because my kiddos play pretty competitive soccer. She said that of all the sports and sports injuries she has seen, gymnastics is the worst on the growing body. Swimming is the best. Just sayin'....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, My daughter went through pretty much the same phase with Gymnastics and Ballet. At one point she did both. Later, she dropped Gymnastics. From a fathers perspective I will tell you, there is nothing that I love more than seeing her dance. I have watched her dance for 6 years now and every year just gets more and more special. She is now on point at 10 years of age and this has taken her dance to another level. I do not regret her dropping gymnastics at all. Watching her dance, brings an unmeasurable joy to my heart.

    ReplyDelete