Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Catching Up

Wow! Two weeks since my last blog post... I know there are at least a handful of people who read this, so I apologize to you all for the gap.

Lin has now been with us for 8 months -- hard to believe it's been that long already! And while the vast majority of our days are pretty happy and easy-going, we are also having days where Lin is really dealing with some heavy emotional pain. It seems a little bit like, the longer she's with us, the deeper the pain.

For example, she had about one full day where she was pretty resentful toward me because I'm not her birth mother. It wasn't the first time she's talked about her birth parents, but it was the first time she seemed angry toward me. It lasted just a day or so and then things got back to normal. I spoke with our family counselor and she told me that it's important for me to engage Lin in conversations about her life before us, so that Lin knows that I'm not threatened by it. Lin needs to know that I'm not replacing any of the important women who have been part of her life.

She suggested that when the weather warms up I get Lin into gardening. I can make the comparison between the flowers that we plant and Lin's life. The roots are strong and important to the plant. But now we need to add good soil and water so that the plant can bloom and grow.

But like I said, most days are really good. Lin made me a beautiful Valentine's Day card yesterday. I'll have to take a picture and post it. And Ruby is doing great. She has her Valentine's Day party at preschool today, and she's all ready to wear her super-fancy red dress (it's actually her Christmas dress, but hey, it's red!).

My next post will be a picture post...

No comments:

Post a Comment