Monday, March 26, 2012

Great Story... No Pics

Very unfortunately, I have not a single picture to go along with the story I'm about to tell. I have to remember to take my camera along, even when I think we're having just a normal Saturday night...

If you recall, we went roller skating for Ruby's birthday back in January. It was the first time for both girls, and the first time in 25-or-so years for Dave and I, and we all had fun. So we've gone back 4 or 5 times since, often enough that we are familiar with some of the games they play at our preferred rink -- the 4-corners game, the Ghostbusters game... and the Limbo!

The limbo is held on the smaller practice rink, and is super fun to watch. The kids that participate are amazing! And this past Saturday night they had a new participant -- my Ruby!! It was a riot! We had been skating on the big rink and I happened to be right next to Ruby when they announced that it was time for the limbo. Ruby threw her hands up in the air, shouted "Yeah!!!" and zipped off toward the practice rink. I assumed she merely wanted to watch, and her reaction would have been funny enough. But oh no! By the time I got there, she was on the practice rink and lined up with the other kids! Dave and I were both laughing so hard and saying "What is she doing?!?"

In lieu of video, I'll try to describe how Ruby skates. In a word, she's loud. Dave has taken to calling her "Stompy" when she's wearing skates. Picture this 5-year-old child with arms flailing wildly, stomping her feet rather than gliding/rolling, going way too fast and always on the verge of being out of control. It is hilarious!

So there she was, ready to take her mad skating skills to the limbo line! She passed under the line 3 times, before bumping it on the fourth try. After the first couple rounds nearly everyone watching had their eyes on Ruby, and a huge "Awwwwwwww" went up when she knocked the limbo pole down. In fact, the reaction from the crowd was so loud that I was afraid Ruby would be spooked and start crying. But she didn't! She was still smiling as she skated off the rink.

I promise to take pictures and video next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment