Thursday, March 29, 2012

What Did You Do Today?

The vast majority of the time, I live in a world of self-doubt. I'm not a good enough mother. I'm not a good enough wife. Oh, sure, there are many many days where I feel great about the state of the world, but it seems that there's always something I can point to and say "I could have done more."

I blame my husband.

He does everything, with a smile on his face the whole time. He cooks (we've had this conversation before, I believe). He cleans. He helps Lin with 98% of her homework. He gets the girls up and out the door every single morning, with lunches packed and breakfast in their bellies. He is Superdad.

But last night as I was finally going to bed, a little voice in my head told me to look back on all the things I did with my day:

I woke up at 3:00am and went to work at my full-time job.

I washed, dried, folded and put away a load of laundry.

I walked Ruby to preschool.

I ran 2.75 miles (yay, me!).

I was there to greet Lin when she got home from school.

I picked up Ruby from preschool.

I stopped at the grocery store to pick up stuff for dinner, plus some odds-and-ends.

I cooked dinner.

I cleaned up the kitchen after dinner.

I visited my elderly neighbor.

I gave Ruby a bath and trimmed her fingernails.

I put Ruby to bed (multiple times, because she kept getting up).

I helped Lin with her homework.

And I collapsed into bed at 9:45pm.

Now, to be absolutely fair, I do NOT have this kind of day everyday. But I'll bet I have more of these kinds of days than I'm giving myself credit for.

I think I'll take a nap this afternoon...

No comments:

Post a Comment