Monday, May 17, 2010

Getting Ready

Only 10 more work days left until we're off to China! As it happens, a co-worker of mine has a baby due later in June, so he's planning on taking some time off while I'm also gone. We were talking today about how to go about scheduling the fill-ins and I was thinking and thinking... Finally I realized, hey, I'll be out of the country when that happens... That's YOUR problem!!

Ah, giving responsiblilty to others with no guilt. Priceless.

In the meantime, we're getting things ready around here. This weekend I washed all the windows inside and out, we repaired and installed our screen doors for the summer season, and I did some yard work that I've been putting off. You may be asking, what do any of those things have to do with adopting a child? Well, I guess we're fully into what you would call Nesting. I mean, I don't want Lin coming home to an unkempt house now, do I? Let her see how we REALLY live later...

We also realized to our horror last night that we have nothing fun here for Lin when she gets home. All this time we've been stuck on the fact that she's at an in-between age and we don't really know what kinds of things she's going to be into. So we haven't really bought her many things with the idea that it will be fun to shop with her. But for goodness sake, we've got to have something fun for her to come home to! She's got to have some toys in the corner of her room to get excited about!

Any ideas for what to buy a 12-year-old girl? So far on our list are some games and Legos. Maybe Barbie stuff? I look at other American 12-year-olds and all I see are cell phones and iPods, and I don't want to go down that road yet... No way! Seriously, if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to leave me a comment!

I'm off to take a nap. My blessed afternoon naps are coming to an end, I fear, so I've got to take full advantage of this time for the next two weeks!

ONLY TWO WEEKS AWAY!!!

2 comments:

  1. Etch A Sketch, Rubik's Cube, jigsaw puzzles. Maybe simple jewelry making stuff like beads and cord? Creative art supplies like sketch pads, paints, markers?

    Happy Shopping! - Megan & Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't blame you a bit- none of my kids own a cell phone and won't until they can pay their phone/text bills themselves! :) As a mom to an 11 AND a 12 yr old girl (one of whom recently came home from China), I would suggest that keeping it simple would be very helpful to her. Maybe some craft kits, fingernail polish (to be used w/ your help of course), a few books, maybe a doll or two w/ clothes to change etc... I know this time right before travel is a stressful time with so many unanswered questions. Feel free to email me- I'd be happy to answer any questions or encourage in any way! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete