Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Why are you doing this to me?

I had a tough time with Lin yesterday. It wasn't all bad, we had some good times, too. But for a lot of the time we were together, she was trying to pick a fight with me. Testing me. As I was thinking about it again this morning, I realized that she was bullying me. It hurts.

I won't go into the specifics of each little conflict. There were a fair number of small things that just kept building on each other. But by the end of the evening, when she was again pestering me even though I asked her to stop, she again taunted me with the question "Are you mad at me?" (I'd heard that question a lot throughout the day ) I finally looked at her and said "Do you want me to be mad at you? Are you trying to fight with me?" And she laughed. It was something about her posture, the look on her face, her whole body language -- she was being a bully. I was hurt and she laughed at me. I told her that trying to make me mad is not funny. She laughed again. Despite my telling her that it wasn't funny, she kept laughing.

Then she said "I win." That stopped me. I said, this isn't a game. This isn't a competition. There is no winner or loser between mother and daughter. She said "You're the loser and I'm the winner." Yup. It hurts. A lot.

The thing is, my instinct is to walk away from a fight. I'm not going to argue with you. I'm not going to fight with you. I'm going to walk away. But is that the right response in this situation? Is it right to walk away from my newly adopted, 13-year-old daughter, who is trying to figure out what exactly a "mother" is? What exactly does it mean to be a "daughter?" Who is pushing my buttons repeatedly, intentionally, to see what happens?

I'd love you to chime in with some advice for me...

We had another exchange earlier in the day that will need some exploring, and maybe it's time for another appointment with our family counselor. Lin thinks it's funny to call me Lisa and to call her dad David. Most of the time it's harmless. But yesterday, after about 45 minutes of this "testing" me, she then started calling me Lisa. I told her that I really want her to call me "Mom" or "Mama." I tried to play it off with humor at first, but when she persisted (the bullying again) I got more serious with her. I'm your mom. I want you to call me Mom. I don't like it when you call me Lisa.

Lin said that in China she would sometimes call her teachers "Teacher" or call them by name. She would call her nannies "Aiyi" or call them by name. She said "It doesn't matter." I told her, I'm not your teacher. I'm not your Aiyi. I'm your mom. She continued with the "It doesn't matter" line. I told her that it does matter, to me. I told that I'm so happy to be her mom, and that when she calls me Lisa it makes me feel like she doesn't want me to be her mom. Again, "It doesn't matter."

Ouch, folks. Ouch.

3 comments:

  1. Ah the joys of parenting an almost teen and into the teen years. They all push for the reaction and they win when they get the expected reaction. When she is being obnoxious you have to ignore the behavior you do not like and reward the good behavior - and I mean IGNORE.

    Your example about calling you mom - very simple. You have already stated that you want her to call you mom. If she calls you Lisa do not respond to her at all. No further explanations needed. She will drop that tactic and I am sure pick up a new one until she settles in.

    Family counseling is always a good thing if for nothing else you might get new ideas on how to handle your own reactions. I do not know if her language skills are up to the level of getting that much out of it. Also, teasing in China is a form of communication. They all do it. And my daughter laughs at the most inappropriate things because she does not know any better. I just let her know when it is. Sometimes you can really see where our cultures differ.

    My daughter came home at age 10 and has been home for 3 years. She is a sweetheart but believe me we have had our ups and downs and mostly from when she has gotten upset about something and did not know how to communicate it to me. So teasing, yelling, etc basically falling back on old survival skills to show she could not be hurt. Yet it was always when her feelings had been hurt. I had to learn too.

    Oh, if you really want to throw a curve ball at your daughter when she is actively trying to get you mad/to react - smile and give her a hug. Then walk away. Do not engage her beyond that. You are right - there is no winning or losing so it does not matter what she says and you just need to remember that.

    Hope the new years brings you all closer together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really sure I have any better advice than the first poster, but just wanted to say that I think it's great you're able to write these feelings on your blog. Lin is a beautiful girl and is just testing to see how much you love her. Am I remembering correctly that Lin is from Shanghai? I wonder if she knew our little boy (came home June 09).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had some words of wisdom. As I was reading this my heart was aching for you, does that help? I lifted you & Lin up in prayer last night and will continue to do so.
    Thank you as always for being honest and transparent.

    ReplyDelete