Thursday, June 24, 2010

First Week Home

Wow! Has it already been a week? Has it only been a week?!?

We're trying to settle into a routine here. It's tough, and I know that it will take far more time than a mere 7 days for us all to get used to our new household. But it's hard to be patient.

Two and a half years ago when we brought Ruby home, I had moments when I just wanted to go back in time to before we had her. I felt so terrible thinking that, but now I know that's a normal reaction for first-time parents.

This time around I don't wish I could go back in time. I wish I could go forward in time. About 3 or 4 months forward, when Lin can talk with us, at least a little bit. It's so hard to know what to do with ourselves. We bought her a couple books in China, but she doesn't read them. We bought her some CDs but she doesn't go into her room and listen to them. We upgraded our cable to include a few Mandarin-language TV stations but she doesn't watch them. And I don't know why. I can't ask her, and she can't tell me.
So, it's just tough. But we knew it would be.
I still have to say, yet again, how amazed I am with Lin. She is just doing great. And Ruby is doing great. I don't want to jinx anything, but the temper tantrums seem to have decreased back down to normal levels (she is 3, after all!). Dave and I are still feeling tired a lot. How strange that Lin seems to have gotten over the jet lag before we did? But that seems to be the case. I think I'm having trouble staying asleep due to anxiety. I wake up, worried about so many things, from household chores that remain undone to wondering how on Earth Lin is going to learn to read and write English.


We do have a meeting with a family counselor next week, so I'm looking forward to that. Our social worker suggested counseling when we first started the process to bring home an older child and I couldn't agree more. I just want to be very proactive, not reactive. If I feel there's an issue that needs dealing with, we will already have a counseling relationship established. In the ten minutes I was on the phone with her to set up the appointment we already talked about Lin and the dog. The counselor, Sara, told me that what Lin needs right now is to know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that her mom and dad will respect her fear of our dog and keep the dog away from her. She needs to know she can depend on us to protect her. In time I hope she learns to like the dog, but for now we are just keeping them seperated.

Dave just peeked over my shoulder and told me I was writing a "Debbie Downer" post. I certainly don't mean to sound negative! Haven't I said over and over that our Lin is amazing?!? In fact, she's sitting right next to me taking a picture of me even as I type. And she showed interest today in learning how to ride a bike. Tune in for more of that great adventure!




2 comments:

  1. You're not a downer. You're exhausted! That's what happens when a new kid joins the team!

    Sounds like things are going really well. Our daughter was younger than yours, but we spent a lot of time in the kitchen that first month. She helped me cook and clean, and I felt good knowing that I was offering her things to do that didn't require a whole lot of language. Also, we went on long walks. It's a great way to bond.

    Just remember, this is your daughter. You don't have to spend ever minute entertaining her. More than likely, she just simply wants to know that she is part of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    I just found your blogs. Wow! They are amazing and you have done a great job at updating things so quickly since you have been home. Thank you for your frankness and honesty. Honestly, I have been completely overwhelmed and felt very inadequate since we have been home with Riley Grace. Your blog made me feel a little more normal. None of my friends or family seem to really understand why I'm a little down. It was so nice to meet your sweet family in China! I could tell your bond was strong with Lin even in those first few days. I hope we can continue to stay in touch via email, etc. Blessings on your continued transition! Deanna Campbell

    ReplyDelete