Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day - Now I Need a Nap!

Happy Father's Day!

We were all suffering from the jet lag today. So cruel that it gets a bit worse each day for the first few days instead of getting a bit better!

We got up and went to church this morning. Lin was very polite to everyone, shaking hands and saying "Good Morning" to each person who greeted her. She did great during the service. She was funny during the congregational prayers, looking around at everyone and, through gestures, asking me why everyone had their eyes closed! And she got quite a kick out of listening to me sing the hymns, and pestered Dave because he declines to join in the singing.

After church we went to our second home -- Target! Unfortunately this excursion did NOT go well. Ruby was in prime three-year-old mode and threw such a temper tantrum that I had to take her out to the car. It was my first experience walking quickly through a store holding a thrashing, screaming child.
On the way home Lin was pretty sober. When we got back to our house (Ruby had calmed down by then) I had us all sit down in the couch together. Dave and I circled the girls in our arms and I looked at Lin and said "This is a family. We have good days and bad days." I know she didn't understand me, but I felt it was important for us to have closure on what was a really awful episode.

The rest of the day was good overall, except for trying to wake up from our naps this afternoon. Lin completely amazes me that she is so willing to be part of our family. She never left our sides today, even when we knew she was feeling unhappy and tired. She hung in there and participated in everything we were doing. What a great kid!

Lin does continue to hate our dog. It has improved enough that as long as the dog is motionless they can be in the same room together. But as soon as Fresca moves, Lin is a bundle of nerves -- jumping up, running around the corner, sometimes almost screaming. I'm not really sure what to do. I certainly don't want to torture her but I don't want to just get rid of a truly great dog who's been with us for nearly 7 years without giving Lin a chance to settle down a bit. It's a puzzler...
The following pictures are the result of Ruby getting hold of the camera. Not a bad photographer, overall!

2 comments:

  1. Please keep your beloved dog. :-) Lin will adjust.

    I've been exactly where you are, twice, in that our first daughter reacted similarly to Ruby each time we added a new sister.

    Hang in there! I hope your jet lag eases very soon.

    ReplyDelete