Monday, April 19, 2010

Jealousy

My husband and daughter are in her room right now, supposedly reading bedtime stories. Instead, what do I hear? Hysterical laughter. They seem to be having a simply swell time.

Well, har-dee-har-har...

I chose not to read the bedtime stories tonight because, well, I'd had enough of Ruby today. What a great thing for a mother to admit, right? But the reality is, she's been a bit mouthy all day, she's done a great deal of whining, a great deal of pouting when she doesn't get her way. And then there's the continued potty saga. She says she wants to wear big-girl underwear. She's so proud of herself that she keeps it dry. Then she will not go to the bathroom on the potty. So what happened eventually? She wet her pants. And her socks. And her shoes.

The thing is, she just didn't seem to care. She would have kept right on playing, I think. So what am I supposed to do? "You can lead a horse to water but you just can't make 'em drink" is the phrase that keeps running through my head. Argh! What am I supposed to do?

I know, I know. The only thing I can do is let it go. She'll figure out how to go potty in her own time.

Oh, this post was NOT going to be about potty training again! The point was, yes, I'm a tad jealous that Dave and Ruby are able to be such great friends while I feel like I need a break from them both. I think the best thing for all involved is if I just go to bed...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa, we are also in Michigan waiting for TA, I found you on RQ, just wanted to say hello!
    Marla
    Please visit our blog:
    www.CherrinOurJourneyToChina.blogspot.com
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through RQ and just had to say that ALL Moms have moments like yours. Yes, it's hard to admit sometimes, but we are all human and let's face it....sometimes our job is just HARD. We are still trying to get our 5 year old to sleep in her bed. I just spent a fortune decorating her room (see my blog for pics) and she is still fighting us on sleeping in her own bed. She will be sharing a room with her new 2.5 year old sister, so we are hoping this will be inspiration for her to stay in her bed! Quite simply, we are EXHAUSTED. We are waiting on our TA now and hope to travel in June.

    Hang in there on the potty training thing....we've all been there. :)

    Nikki
    www.ladybugmakes4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete