Thursday, September 30, 2010

As Promised... Almost

As promised, here follows a far more upbeat post than my last two.

However,  I do not have any pictures to share. I'm so sorry! First of all, our camera has gone to Camera Heaven after being left outside in the rain the other night. And secondly, Lin has taken a few pictures with her camera in the last few days, but that means that there are very few pictures of Lin, and all the other pictures are of Ruby with one or more of her friends. As I am not the parent of those children, I don't feel comfortable posting their pictures. So... no pics.

But I will take this opportunity to fill you in on just how fabulous Lin is doing in school. What a champ! Two of her teachers sent home nice notes with her today. Her math teacher recognized her for having turned in all her homework and for always giving 100%. And her band teacher wrote a note for us telling us how hard Lin works (she's learning to play the flute). When I explained to Lin what her teachers said, she asked why. I told her that her teachers know that she has to work harder than everyone else because she is still learning English, and her face just glowed. I said it before, but it's worth repeating, this girl really is smart. I'm just so excited to see her continue to blossom and learn, and to think of what the future may hold for her.

Lin got a haircut the other night -- about 3 or 4 inches cut off, by her own choice. It's so pretty! And she's been wearing her glasses a bit more now that school is in full-swing. I can't describe it, but she just walks with an air of confidence about her. It's the little things that most of us take for granted every day -- the way she says "Hey, mama" when I pick her up from school; the way she goes into the kitchen and gets herself something to drink; the way she goes into my bathroom and helps herself to my nail polish remover, without asking permission first. For the last few months this house, this town is where Lin has lived. But lately, I get the feeling that this is truly becoming Lin's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment