Thursday, December 30, 2010

Is it time to go back to school yet?

Lin is not looking forward to school starting up again on Monday. Unfortunately, that's the way the cookie crumbles! And I know that we all need to get back into our routine. Dave, Lin and Ruby have all been home this week (I didn't have any vacation time left -- boo!) and although I know they've been having fun, I also know that each of them needs to get back into their own little corners of the world.

I've noticed a slight change in the relationship between Lin and Ruby the last couple weeks or so. They seem to be getting closer to each other, acting just a little bit more like sisters rather than two girls, 10 years apart in age, who live in the same house. Maybe it's because of Christmas?

The other night we were out for dinner and as we walked back to the car Ruby wanted to hold Lin's hand. So Lin told Dave and I to hold hands. Lin and Ruby walked behind us, holding hands, and every few steps they would stop walking and Lin would crouch down just a bit to be closer to Ruby's level. When Dave and I would turn around to look they would giggle together. In this way, they kept getting further and further behind us, and they kept laughing harder and harder. By the time we got to the car Ruby was pretty much out of control with screaming laughter. Then on the way home the girls took turns making funny noises with their mouths (okay, okay, they were making fart sounds -- there, I said it!). It got pretty crazy!

We also took them to an indoor inflatable bounce-house place the other day. Although Dave and I also climbed and played, it was mostly Lin and Ruby running and playing together. Lin would help Ruby climb up onto the structures and then they would come flying down the slides, and after disembarking, Ruby would grab Lin's hand and drag her off to the next one.

Of course, they've also been arguing a bit more, too. Ruby acts-out toward Lin when she wants attention from her big sister. Usually Lin ignores it, or Dave and I step in and tell Ruby to stop. But I've been purposely NOT getting involved lately, just to let the girls start dealing with these little conflicts on their own. Although I certainly do not enjoy hearing them argue, in a way I know it's good because they are forming their relationship, without Dave or I trying to guide them.

So, that's what's going on with us as this Christmas vacation comes to a close. We went ice skating last night. Lin said she had gone ice skating a little bit in China but she had a pretty tough time with it yesterday. I mostly stood still on my skates, trying to help out both girls. We gave it up after awhile as I don't think anyone was really having any fun. We're going to try skiing next!

No comments:

Post a Comment